Thursday, April 7, 2011

who needs books...

      I feel that books are very important to society, but they are not very important to me personally.  I'm not a person who likes to read books in their free time like others may enjoy.  I'm more of a excercise or go outside kindof person rather than sit down an open a book.  So if the world wouldn't have books I wouldn't be heart broken, but i'm not dumb enough to think that they aren't important.  Books provide us with knowledge and are very important to our lives.  I may think it wouldn't affect me because I don't read, but how would we teach our students.  Not having books would definately affect our society in a negative way and our intelligence would suffer because of it.
     Even though I do not read books I think I would rebel if I wasn't allowed to read them.  It's like not being allowed to drink until your 21, so you try to break the rules, but once your 21 it gets old and takes some of the fun out of it.  So if I wasn't allowed to read I would probably try rebel and read anyhow, but if that rule was changed then it would probably become overrated and I would read less and less.
     I think we burn books today by creating movies based on books that don't even show the whole truth to the book.  We only display the good entertaining parts of the book, but don't include all of the details and I think that this takes away from a book.  We just don't want to add all of the details because the movie would be so long and we get bored easily.  I mean it's not like we have something else to do we will probably just be lazy and watch something else.
     Why are books so dangerous.  Probably because they may take time away from our other entertainment such as TV, sports, friends, and other activities.  I know for me personally I simply choose not to read because I like doing other activities, but every once in a great while I find some free time to read some and actually enjoy it, but that is very very seldom. 

5 comments:

  1. Justin, you make some really great points.. I, too, am not much of a reader. I would also rather spend my free time doing things that aren't reading. However, a society without books would be crazy! There would be nothing to reference to. How would we know what is the truth and what is a lie if we have nothing to reference back to? I liked you connection on how we burn books today. I agree that movies are created from books and people simply just skip out on reading the book and watch the movie instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we burn books today too by having movies made from them. I don't think it is fair to some of the authors out there who may hate the movie that is based off of their book. It would probably end up keeping some people from reading the book just because they might not like the movie even thought the two may be very different. I agree with how you said that our society would no doubt suffer without books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, books are very important to our society! Books do provide knowledge for us. If we didn't have books, how would we become educated? Teachers usually always rely on books to teach their lessons. Like I've said before, I'm not much of a reader, but that doesn't mean I'd be happy to hear they were gone. I read from the book in all of my classes. We burn books by choosing to watch the movie instead of reading the book. Its a lot easier and faster. We do need books in our lives though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that books are important they are just not big in my life. I don't feel that we need books in our lives because we have covered enough information in the world that all that information is now in technology and not books anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you also looked at the teaching aspect. Teaching a class of kids would be a lot more difficult without books. I think it might allow teachers to come up with more interesting and exciting lessons, but not all teachers would be able to do this. I think many teachers would struggle. It would also make teaching children to read very difficult, if it would even happen at all.

    ReplyDelete