Friday, April 1, 2011

Blog # 8

         After reading The Hunger Games I thought it was one of the best and suspenseful books that I have ever read.  I really like the survival aspect of the book.  I feel that if there was ever a time that we had to live without neglected things such as grocery stores, shelter, cars, and ovens that most people wouldn't be able to make it.  I think the knowledge I have gained growing up will help me survive though and if I had to I could live for a very long time and be self efficient. 
          This novel compared to the other novels we have read is the control by the capitol.  The districts are strictly controlled due to the past war.  The book was really interesting and suspenseful.  I think the most interesting part of the book was probably the action parts such as the fire and fighting the other tributes.  I found myself visualizing the scenes.
          I found this online it's like a quiz that you can take to see if you would be able to survive The Hunger Games.  http://www.thehungergames.co.uk/game
          I watched a movie called The Condemned before and it is basically just like our book.  The only difference is instead of having a reaping or lottery to pick the contestants they just picked the toughest and most deadly people on death row.  In the movie the action is watched online by the audience as the contestants kill each other.  The last contestant standing at the end is declared the winner and is given their life instead of being put to death.  http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/the-condemned/trailer
         I was actually doing this blog at home and my brother saw me watching the trailer for The Condemned.  He immeadiately said that it was a good movie and I agreed with him.  I asked him why he liked it and he said because it has action from fist fights to guns and it is very suspenseful.  Just thought I would put his opinion in here since he has no idea what we have been talking about in class.  I don't know why we like violence so much but it's really disturbing that we like to watch people kill each other on TV in our free time.  If something like The Condemned was ever put online in real life I am almost positive there would be millions who watch it and like it.....  

5 comments:

  1. Like I mentioned on Kayla's blog post, I really enjoyed the book too. I also found myself on the edge of my seat waiting to see what was going to happen next. That's great that you think you would be able to survive for a while out in nature-- I think I could for a little bit, but not long! I checked out that quiz type ordeal to see if you would be able to survive. It was a pretty cool online component to the book. I have never seen The Condemned, but after watching the trailer I think that needs to change. It has a very similar premise to Hunger Games, expect the aspect in which the players were chosen. You make a really good point by including what your brother had to say. I immediately wanted to see The Condemned after watching the trailer because of the suspense, violence, and fight to the end. Why are we "programmed" this way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also found myself visualizing the scenes in the book. I really enjoyed reading it because of all of the action scenes. I have never read a book like this before but I think since I really liked The Hunger Games I'll have to read the others haha. I can't wait to see the movie and find out how similar it is to the book. I agree this book relates to the others we have read because of all of the control factors that are present in basically all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too found myself visualizing the scenes in the book. The scene where the Capitol sent the fire at Katniss was one of my favorites as well. I enjoyed the link to the two games you put on you blog. Just as I thought, I could not survive in the Hunger Games. In the first game I got an 85% and it said You Lose. In the second game, I was eventually eaten by a crocodile. Good thing I'm over 18 and wouldn't have to go into the draft for the games if they were instituted today! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was reading the book and all those scenes that took place I visualized most of them like you and Justin said. It's weird how your imagination can think and comlex such crazy ideas. I really enjoyed this book and it just offered a different type of story. It was interesting and easy to follow. Definitely my type of book lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the book was very good also! It was definitely different and not a book I would typically read (that is, if i decided to pick up and read a book for kicks and giggles which is unlikely). I agree with everyone about how visualizing the scenes were. This book was very suspenseful and it kept me on the edge of my seat! I couldn't put the book down because I always wanted to know what was going to happen next!

    ReplyDelete